Thursday, January 26, 2012

High School Misconceptions.

As a once high school student, I feel obligated to let the younger generation in on a little something;

College is not for everyone, especially for the less mature and drama oriented people. It's not just a place to go to get "away from home" or where you can party every night of the week. It is a place full of choices, easy and tough, that will define you to other people and the world. If you can party and not study that hard and still get good grades, congratulations on that, but if you are going to college just to party, do not expect to be there long.

I understand the anticipation to leave home and "not miss your high school." Believe me I was one of you, all be it to a lesser extent. I won't deny that I miss my high school, and the easier times. But college is no walk in the park. Many times I have wished to have the comfort of teachers I know, and the ability to not have to read anything in order to succeed. Just wait to decide about whether you will miss your school.

When I asked people why they say they "won't miss the high school" the respond with "The drama and all the crap they have to deal with from the teachers and they just want to get out of there." I have one thing to say to that: "That is just one aspect of school, and it follows you to college. Drama? Yes, there is drama in college. B. S. from teachers? Well these are professors, they couldn't care less if you pass or fail. Would they like to see you pass, yes, but only if you show the willingness to try. They get paid if you pass or fail, and instead of it being "Mr," Ms,"  or "Mrs," it's now "Professor" or "Dr." It's just in a bigger setting. Plus you'll miss the friends you made, and you will make new ones, but it takes time."

I spend most of my time running around campus to get to classes and meet with professors and ask questions. The stress has taken it's toll on me several times, and I have failed to meet not just my parents standards, but also my own goals. Yet I see that I am trying my hardest, doing the work and relax at that thought. I went from an A- average in high school to a C+, B- average (scale E-A).

The college classes are fun, but you have to figure out what works for you. I find that a couple classes back to back then a break before a couple more is a good combination. Just don't take your freedom too far and fail out. I have seen parents pull kids because of bad grades, or the college suspending due to poor grades.

If you are reading this, thank you for your time, and best of luck at what you do.

Congratulations on finishing this post! Peace out for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment